Sunday, April 18, 2010

Berlin, Md

A Dollar General in Berlin Md

Not far from the beach,
A few miles up the road.
There's a little tiny town,
Berlin it is known!

In this little town
A Dollar General store rests.
Between a Subway and Food Lion,
Serving the public and it's special guests.

There's some very special girls
I've known for a while.
There's Kelly, Helene, and Teresa,
They will greet you with a smile.

Kelly's country music playing over the air.
Be sure, this Dollar General is a family affair.
Though the Holidays are frightful.
We all have found fond memories to share.

Like when the momma duck
And her eleven baby chicks.
Waddle right through the store.....
This memory is fixed.

I had made a lot friends
During the time I work there.
Friendships that will carry me
And precious memories my heart bares

Though my life may take
A different path to wear.
I will always carry with me,
These cherished memories I'll share.


Through the years we cross paths with other souls either through work or play and you become very close. Then one day comes and things go a different way. With this poem, I want to honor the girls I worked with and my two years in Ocean City Maryland at that Dollar General Store in Berlin.

About a month after I move to Ocean City, Md my relationship with my boyfriend hit rock bottom and he went back to Hagerstown. I was so ready to move out of my cousin's home where I share a house with three men. This arrangement was not going to work. The very same day my boyfriend left, I went job hunting.
My first place, the Dollar General, in Ocean City, Md. Just a short mile up the road, in a small out door mall. I figure if I started here, somewhere in this maze of retail shops, I would find work. I did retail, off and on for years, so my hopes were high. Sure enough, I was hired on the spot and started my new job in less then a week with Dollar General as a Cashier/Clerk.
It wouldn't take long I would transfer to the Dollar General in Berlin, Md. I worked in Ocean City for several months and I was ready to take on a better position with more money and Kelly, the manager at the Dollar General offered me a job in Berlin, so I jumped on it. Besides it was a month or so into Spring and Ocean City was already opening up to tourists and I didn't want to be in the middle of all this summer craziness. Berlin was an ideal location for me.
Berlin, Md is just a few miles before you get to Ocean City on Rt 50. Nestled just off the highway, it's where most of the year round locals choose to live. Historic Berlin has that old country feel and gets a good many of their own tourists passing through each year. Berlin's History is rich with many land marks, such as the historic Atlantic Hotel, which still functions as a Hotel, and The Globe which offers the best in fine dining and local entertainment.
The Atlantic Hotel sits in the middle of down town Berlin. You can't help be memorize by it's Victorian charm. The moment you step on
the porch that's surrounds the hotel, you are whisked away to a time when life was much
simpler. You can easily imagine yourself drinking tea with white gloved hands, chatting merrily
about the days events as you sit along side a white scarf table with a gentle ocean breeze
blowing.
Once you walk through the threshold of the Atlantic Hotel time has stood still. The
interior of this place is breath taking, full of early period style and flair. Every room in the
Atlantic Hotel, beautifully decorated with antiques and Victorian decor, I promise the
experience will stay with you long after you leave.
Check out it for yourself at www.atlantichotel.com
Then just around the corner, The Globe. This fine dinning place is a special treat in it's
own right. This two story historic building also dates back to the early nineteen hundreds.
As your food is being prepared, you can walk around and check out some of the local artists
and see their work display through out The Globe. Then as you eat, you can be entertain by the
local musicians. If your are lucky and visit on Thursday evenings you will be able to have your
cards read by the local Psychic, Carol who visits twice a month.
Yes, Berlin, Md is a very nice little town, I still have friends there I will carry with me the
rest of my life. Like the girls I worked with, Helene, Kelly, and Teresa at the Dollar General
in Berlin, Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment